SPECIES ID / Freshwater Fish of the Fraser Valley
Bass/Sunfish Family (Centrarchidae)
- All are introduced to British Columbia
- Native to eastern North America
- Species from this family were found in the Pacific Northwest prior to glaciation.
- In generally prefer slow-moving, warm water.
- two dorsal fins, large coarse scales, no adipose fin
- spines in dorsal, anal and pelvic fins
- pelvic fins positioned well forward on the body
- body laterally compressed (narrow and tall)
Primary Information Source:
McPhail, J.D. 2007. The Freshwater Fishes of British Columbia. University of Alberta Press. Edmonton, Alberta.